April 18, 2013
Bodie Island lighthouse (pronounced “body”) is one of the most recognizable icons of the Outer Banks. Located just south of Nags Head, it was first constructed in 1847 on Pea Island and later abandoned and rebuilt in 1859 south of Oregon Inlet, only to be destroyed by Confederate troops during the Civil War. Today’s Bodie Island lighthouse was erected in 1872 and is one of about 15 in the country that still has its original Fresnel lens; producing light that can be seen for approx. 20 miles over the ocean and all directions. The name “Bodie Island” according to folklore, came from the “bodies” from the ships that would sink or run aground on shore.
The lighthouse has undergone major renovations in the past months to restore it. Today: April 19, 2013, marks the very first time in history that the lighthouse will be open to the public, and guided tours will be offered by the National Park Service.
Southern Shores Realty has an EXCLUSIVE video from the grand opening of Bodie Island Lighthouse tours! Enjoy and share!