The Outer Banks welcomes all ages and skill levels to the fastest growing sport in America, Pickleball!
Pickleball began in Washington state in 1965 and has since flourished into over 36.5 million players in the United States in 2022, according to the Association of Pickleball Professionals. The sport has recently seen celebrities such as Tom Brady, Mark Cuban and LeBron James invest into Pickleball leagues and teams as the popularity of the game continues to rise.
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball can best be described as tennis, badminton and ping-pong all combined into one. The badminton-size court accompanies teams of doubles or singles as players use a plastic ball and paddles to hit over a shortened tennis net. What makes Pickleball so unique is the sports compatibility with all ages and skill sets. From children to senior citizens, Pickleball is sure to offer a uniquely fun experience for everyone.
How to Play Pickleball
Following Pickleball five, conveniently simple rules will have you on your way to playing in no time!
- The ball must stay in bounds
- Just like in Ping-Pong or Tennis, keeping the ball within the boundaries ensures play can continue. When the ball goes out of bounds, in the air, or after bouncing once, then a point is awarded to that team.
- After the serving team goes, the returning team must bounce the ball once on the other side of the court before either team can return the ball. Once the ball has bounced once per side, teams can return however they please, either hitting the ball in the air or after one bounce.
- Standing behind the back line, the server must hit it underhand, diagonally across the net.
- From the line closest to the net to the net itself is the No-Volley Zone. Serves must land behind this line. After the initial serve, shots are permitted to land in this area.
- Teams must win the game by two points. Games continue until teams have a 2-point final lead over the opponent.
Where to Play Pickleball in the Outer Banks
The Outer Banks provides numerous locations to enjoy the game of Pickleball during your stay:
- Dare County Rec Center
- Dowdy Park
- Outer Banks Family YMCA
- Pine Island Racquet and Fitness Center
- Ships Watch Resort
602 Mustian Street, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, 27948
3005 S Croatan Highway Nags Head, NC 27959
3000 S Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959
290 Audubon Dr, Corolla, NC 27927
1251 Duck Road, Duck, North Carolina 27949